Re: Error-safe user functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Error-safe user functions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Sat, Dec 3, 2022 at 10:57 PM Corey Huinker <corey.huinker@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2. ereturn_* => errfeedback / error_feedback / feedback

> Oh, I like that, especially errfeedback.

efeedback?  But TBH I do not think any of these are better than ereturn.

Whether or not you agree with my position that it'd be best if the new
macro name is the same length as "ereport", I hope we can all agree
that it had better be short.  ereport call nests already tend to contain
quite long lines.  We don't need to add another couple tab-stops worth
of indentation there.

As for it being the same length: if you take a close look at my 0002
patch, you will realize that replacing ereport with a different-length
name will double or triple the number of lines that need to be touched
in many input functions.  Yeah, we could sweep that under the rug to
some extent by submitting non-pgindent'd patches and running a separate
pgindent commit later, but that is not without pain.  I don't want to
go there for the sake of a name that isn't really compellingly The
Right Word, and "feedback" just isn't very compelling IMO.