psql in a bash function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject psql in a bash function
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Because I need to log into many servers, I created functions as keyboard shortcuts (not aliases, since I will want to embed these shortcuts in other functions).

psqlxyz ()
{
    echo "P1=$1";
    echo "P2=$2";
    psql -U postgres -h XYZ $@
}

This is the (simple, test) command that I want to run, which works when run explicitly using psql, but not my function.  Any ideas why the function isn't properly passing the "-c" and '"select ..."' to psql?

$ psql -U postgres -h XYZ -c "select oid, datname from pg_database;"
   oid   |        datname
---------+------------------------
       1 | template1
   11563 | template0
   11564 | postgres
   16404 | test1
 3039800 | ABCD
  319011 | EFGH
  649861 | IJKL
(7 rows)

$ psqldba -c '"select oid, datname from pg_database;"'
P1=-c
P2="select oid, datname from pg_database;"
psql: warning: extra command-line argument "datname" ignored
psql: warning: extra command-line argument "from" ignored
psql: warning: extra command-line argument "pg_database;"" ignored
psql: FATAL:  database "oid," does not exist

Thanks