Re: reindex/vacuum locking/performance? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Larry Rosenman
Subject Re: reindex/vacuum locking/performance?
Date
List pgsql-performance

--On Monday, October 06, 2003 14:26:10 -0400 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
wrote:

> Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
>> On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 19:50, Neil Conway wrote:
>> I was hoping you'd reply to this, Tom -- you were referring to O_DIRECT,
>> right?
>
> Not necessarily --- as you point out, it's not clear that O_DIRECT would
> help us.  What would be way cool is something similar to what James
> Rogers was talking about: a way to tell the kernel not to promote this
> page all the way to the top of its LRU list.  I'm not sure that *any*
> Unixen have such an API, let alone one that's common across more than
> one platform :-(
I think Verita's VxFS has this as an option/IOCTL.

You can read the Veritas doc on my
http://www.lerctr.org:8458/

pages under filesystems.

That should work on UnixWare and Solaris sites that have VxFS installed.

VxFS is standard on UW.

LER

Attachment