Re: reindex/vacuum locking/performance? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: reindex/vacuum locking/performance?
Date
Re: reindex/vacuum locking/performance?
Re: reindex/vacuum locking/performance?
List pgsql-performance
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 19:50, Neil Conway wrote:
> I was hoping you'd reply to this, Tom -- you were referring to O_DIRECT,
> right?

Not necessarily --- as you point out, it's not clear that O_DIRECT would
help us.  What would be way cool is something similar to what James
Rogers was talking about: a way to tell the kernel not to promote this
page all the way to the top of its LRU list.  I'm not sure that *any*
Unixen have such an API, let alone one that's common across more than
one platform :-(

            regards, tom lane