Re: Access a newer Version of PGDB (v13) with an older libpq (v10 x86) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Access a newer Version of PGDB (v13) with an older libpq (v10 x86)
Date
List pgsql-general
=?UTF-8?Q?Wolfgang_Ri=c3=9fler?= <wolfgang.rissler@freenet.de> writes:
> The problem is, that our application (IDE MS-VisualStudio, C++) has to
> be 32bit, because of some old 32bit-dll's, which we cant kick out at the
> moment.
> So I compiled a libpqxx with the last 32bit libpq (which is v10).

Uh ... what's this about "last 32-bit libpq"?

I can believe that a particular packager (EDB, say) might not be shipping
prebuilt 32-bit binaries anymore.  But if you are in a position to compile
your own libraries then you can certainly build any release you want as
32-bit.

I would recommend trying to use a reasonably late-vintage libpq; we do
fix bugs in it on a regular basis.

The common stumbling block for cross-version situations is that the
client makes assumptions about system catalog contents that are not
valid in some other server release.  libpq proper doesn't really touch
the catalogs, so it's mostly impervious to that problem; but you'll need
to test your applications.

            regards, tom lane