Re: [HACKERS] Replication vs. float timestamps is a disaster - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Replication vs. float timestamps is a disaster
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Replication vs. float timestamps is a disaster  (James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>)
Re: [HACKERS] Replication vs. float timestamps is a disaster  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2017-02-20 11:58:12 +0100, Petr Jelinek wrote:
>> That being said, I did wonder myself if we should just deprecate float
>> timestamps as well.

> I think we need a proper deprecation period for that, given that the
> conversion away will be painful for pg_upgrade using people with big
> clusters.  So I think we should fix this regardless... :(

The question to be asked is whether there is still anybody out there
using float timestamps.  I'm starting to get dubious about it myself.
Certainly, no packager that I'm aware of has shipped a float-timestamp
build since we switched the default in 8.4.  Maybe there is somebody
who's faithfully built a float-timestamp custom build every year so they
can pg_upgrade in place from their 8.3 installation, but there have got
to be darn few such people.

As for "proper deprecation period", the documentation has called the
option deprecated since 8.4:

-disable-integer-datetimesDisable support for 64-bit integer storage for timestamps andintervals, and store datetime
valuesas floating-point numbersinstead. Floating-point datetime storage was the default inPostgreSQL releases prior to
8.4,but it is now deprecated,because it does not support microsecond precision for the fullrange of timestamp values.

I think the strongest reason why we didn't move to kill it sooner was
that we were not then assuming that every platform had 64-bit ints;
but we've required that since 9.0.