Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add function to import operating system collations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add function to import operating system collations
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Add function to import operating system collations

BTW, hamster's been failing since this went in:

running bootstrap script ... ok
performing post-bootstrap initialization ... 2017-01-19 03:17:38.748 JST [14656] FATAL:  no usable system locales were
found
2017-01-19 03:17:38.748 JST [14656] STATEMENT:  SELECT pg_import_system_collations(if_not_exists => false, schema =>
'pg_catalog');
child process exited with exit code 1

Looking at older reports, I see that it didn't find any system locales
then either, but we did not treat it as a hard error:

running bootstrap script ... ok
performing post-bootstrap initialization ... No usable system locales were found.
Use the option "--debug" to see details.
ok
syncing data to disk ... ok

I have to question the decision to make "no locales" a hard error.
What's the point of that?  In fact, should we even be bothering with
a warning, considering how often initdb runs unattended these days?