Re: Small question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Small question
Date
Re: Small question  (Jan Wieck <janwieck@yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-general
Jan Wieck <janwieck@yahoo.com> writes:
>> It seems like it might be possible for libpq (or other clients) to keep
>> track of the transaction state by paying attention to BEGIN, COMMIT,
>> ABORT command-completion tags and ERROR messages, but I haven't worked
>> through the details.

>         PQexec(c, "BEGIN; SELECT now()");

>     Will there even be a BEGIN command tag sent?

Yes.  PQexec doesn't tell you about it, but one comes through.  (This
is certainly true in current sources, and I believe has always been true.)

It'd be nastier if we allowed functions to change the transaction-block
state, but we don't...

            regards, tom lane