Re: Installing the latest 8.1.1 rpms question. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jerry LeVan
Subject Re: Installing the latest 8.1.1 rpms question.
Date
List pgsql-general
On Dec 14, 2005, at 3:15 AM, Richard Huxton wrote:

> Jerry LeVan wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I just downloaded the 8.1.1 rpms for FC4 from postgresql.org.
>> It appears that removing the existing rpms will require also
>> removing a number of dependencies. (That what Synaptics asserts...)
>> Is it possible to use a "rpm -Uvh *" to overwrite the existing
>> 8.1.0 rpms from postgresql.org? and not have to reload all of
>> the other bits and pieces?
>
> That should work just fine. You shouldn't need to dump/reload
> either, although I always do where possible.
>
> Don't forget when 8.2 comes out and you want to upgrade you will
> NEED to  pg_dump your data first and then restore it.
>
> --
>   Richard Huxton
>   Archonet Ltd

Oh well, I chickened out and rm'ed the existing rpms and noted which
dependencies were
deleted via pencil and paper.

I then installed the new rpms and reinstalled the previous dependencies.

I think it probably took less time to build and install from source
on my mac than
going with the rpm route :)

Thanks,

Jerry