Re: Debugging the backend? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Debugging the backend?
Date
List pgsql-general
Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:
> On Thu, 2002-09-19 at 18:25, Dmitry Tkach wrote:
>> executable.The problem is, when I am trying to attach to it with GDB, it seems to have no source file information
>> at all! It is debugabble - I can print variables, see function names and parameters etc... But, whatever I do, it
just
>> does not know anything about the source (not even filenames, and line numbers)!

> In gdb you can specify a directory from which to load source files, if
> necessary.  I find that if you cd to the directory where the excutable
> was compiled before running it, this is not usually necessary.

I find that it generally Just Works, as long as I give the correct path
to the postgres-executable-with-debug-info on the gdb command line.
I've only ever had to specify a source directory in weird cases
involving dynamically linked shared libraries.  If you're trying to
debug the main backend then that shouldn't apply...

            regards, tom lane