Re: Why Wal_buffer is 64KB - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jaime Casanova
Subject Re: Why Wal_buffer is 64KB
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Tadipathri Raghu <traghu.dba@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Can anybody clarify on this, why wal_buffer is 64kb and what is advantages
> and disadvantages in increasing or decreasing the wal_buffer.

is 64kb just because by default we have low values in almost everything :)
and the advantages is that if your average transaction is more than
64kb large all wal data will be in memory until commit, actually i
thing it should be large enough to accomodate more than one
transaction but i'm not sure about that one... i usually use 1Mb for
OLTP systems

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova