tie user processes to postmaster was:(Re: [HACKERS] scheduler in core) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jaime Casanova
Subject tie user processes to postmaster was:(Re: [HACKERS] scheduler in core)
Date
Re: tie user processes to postmaster was:(Re: [HACKERS] scheduler in core)
Re: tie user processes to postmaster
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> Jaime Casanova wrote:
>
>> so, is this idea (having some user processes be "tied" to postmaster
>> start/stop) going to somewhere?
>
> I've added this to the TODO list. Now we just need someone to write it.

if we can do this, how should it work?
Simon said:
"""
Yes, I think so. Rough design...

integrated_user_processes = 'x, y, z'

would run x(), y() and z() in their own processes. These would execute
after startup, or at consistent point in recovery. The code for these
would come from preload_libraries etc.

They would not block smart shutdown, though their shudown sequence might
delay it. User code would be executed last at startup and first thing at
shutdown.

API would be user_process_startup(), user_process_shutdown().
"""

so it should be a GUC, that is settable only at start time.
we need those integrated processes at all when in a standby server?

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova