Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Preventive maintenance in advance of pgindent run. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Preventive maintenance in advance of pgindent run.
Date
Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Preventive maintenance in advanceof pgindent run.  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> There are some changes here that should be reverted; for instance:

> -   printf(_("  -c, --checkpoint=fast|spread\n"
> -            "                         set fast or spread checkpointing\n"));
> +   printf(_("  -c, --checkpoint=fast|spread\n"));
> +   printf(_("                         set fast or spread checkpointing\n"));

> From the translator's point of view the patched version doesn't make
> sense because they are two separate strings.  In the original, it's a
> single translatable string.  Particularly in pg_waldump's -p, where a
> phrase is now cut in the middle.

What I was concerned about was that pgindent will reindent the second
line so that it's impossible to tell whether the spacing is correct.
That might not matter to translators but it will be a problem for
source-level maintenance.

Maybe we should rethink the whole idea of breaking these entries across
lines, and just accept that the commentary doesn't line up with other
lines:
  printf(_("  -c, --checkpoint=fast|spread  set fast or spread checkpointing\n"));

Thoughts?