Re: Remove configure --disable-float4-byval and --disable-float8-byval - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Remove configure --disable-float4-byval and --disable-float8-byval
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2019-11-01 15:41, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On a related note, why do we store typbyval in the catalog anyway
>> instead of inferring it from typlen and maybe typalign? It seems like
>> a bad idea to record on disk the way we pass around values in memory,
>> because it means that a change to how values are passed around in
>> memory has ramifications for on-disk compatibility.

> This sounds interesting.  It would remove a pg_upgrade hazard (in the
> long run).

> There is some backward compatibility to be concerned about.

Yeah.  The point here is that typbyval specifies what the C functions
concerned with the datatype are expecting.  We can't just up and say
"we're going to decide that for you".

I do get the point that supporting two different typbyval options
for float8 and related types is a nontrivial cost.