Re: How to fix lost synchronization with server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: How to fix lost synchronization with server
Date
Re: How to fix lost synchronization with server  ("Andrus" <kobruleht2@hot.ee>)
Re: How to fix lost synchronization with server  ("Andrus" <kobruleht2@hot.ee>)
List pgsql-general
"Andrus" <kobruleht2@hot.ee> writes:
> pg_dump: Dumping the contents of table "attachme" failed: PQgetCopyData()
> failed.
> pg_dump: Error message from server: lost synchronization with server: got
> message type "d", length 5858454
> pg_dump: The command was: COPY firma1.attachme (id, idmailbox, attachname,
> attachbody, attachtype) TO stdout;

> attachme table contains 4487 records
> Its  total size is 1016 MB. Most data is contained in one bytea column

I think this is probably an out-of-memory situation inside pg_dump, ie
libpq failing to make its input buffer large enough for the incoming row.
It's hard to believe that there's not 6MB available on any modern machine,
so I'm thinking this is an OS-level restriction on how much memory we can
get.  On a Unix machine I'd recommend looking at the ulimit settings
pg_dump is being run under.  Dunno the equivalent for Windows.

            regards, tom lane