Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dave Page wrote:
> I don't know about JDBC, but ODBC could use it, and it would save a
heck
> of a lot of pain in apps like pgAdmin that need to figure out if a
column
> in an arbitrary resultset might be updateable.

I use an open source toolkit, zeos components for postgresql, that make
this possible.  You can run simple queries (even with some joins) and it
allows updating of the result set *sometimes*.  This can be done inline
with a grid control.

These components work with Delphi (object pascal), Kylix, and C++
Builder.  They are the fastest middleware I have ever seen for any
database, period.  They also already have a built in SQL parser and are
open source.  The project is hosted in sourceforge and I believe it to
be GPL.

> values. That code is just plain nasty in VB. In pgAdmin III we've
already
> mentioned stealing bits of the PostgreSQL parser.

Do not be swayed by the dark side.  In my spare time I threw together a
'proof of concept' replacement for the technology used in pgAdmin.   It
is written in C++.  In three seconds I can query a table and put 100000
records in a grid.  I plan to finish it and release it.  The main reason
not to use it is that it relies on commercial tools to build.

If you or anybody else is intereted, let me know and I'll send it your
way.

Merlin