Re: Numbering of the next release: 8.0 vs 7.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Sander Steffann
Subject Re: Numbering of the next release: 8.0 vs 7.4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

> Would it be cool to decide on the version numbering of our next release
> like this:
>
>   + If it looks like we'll have Win32 and/or PITR recovery in time for
>     the next release, we call it PostgreSQL 8.0
>
>   + If not, we call it 7.4

Wouldn't a new FE/BE protocol be a better reason to call it 8.0? Raising the
major version number together with introducing a new protocol which causes
incompatibilities between new clients and older servers seems like a logical
combination...

Just a thought... :)
Sander.