Re: Thoughts on using Text::Template for our autogenerated code? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Thoughts on using Text::Template for our autogenerated code?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2023-03-30 17:15:20 -0400, Corey Huinker wrote:
>> For those who already responded, are your concerns limited to the
>> dependency issue? Would you have concerns about a templating library that
>> was developed by us and included in-tree? I'm not suggesting suggesting we
>> write one at this time, at least not until after we make a here-doc-ing
>> pass first, but I want to understand the concerns before embarking on any
>> refactoring.

> The dependency is/was my main issue. But I'm also somewhat doubtful that what
> we do warrants the use of a template library in the first place, but I could
> be convinced by a patch showing it to be a significant improvement.

Yeah, it's somewhat hard to believe that the cost/benefit ratio would be
attractive.  But maybe you could mock up some examples of what the input
could look like, and get people on board (or not) before writing any
code.