64-bit Compile Failure on Solaris 10 with OpenSSL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Randal T. Rioux
Subject 64-bit Compile Failure on Solaris 10 with OpenSSL
Date
Re: 64-bit Compile Failure on Solaris 10 with OpenSSL  (Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM>)
List pgsql-general
I've battled this for a while. I'm finally breaking down and asking for help.

If you're answer to this is "why 64-bit" then don't answer. You wouldn't
understand. Same if you say "why don't you use packages."

Here is my scenerio:

 - Sun 420R x450Mhz UltraSPARC-II / 4GB RAM
 - Solaris 10 05/08
 - OpenSSL 0.9.8h
 - PostgreSQL 8.3.3
 - GCC 3.4.6
 - GNU Make 3.81

OpenSSL configure line (compiles clean and works perfectly):

./Configure shared solaris64-sparcv9-gcc -R/usr/sfw/lib/sparcv9
-R/usr/local/ssl/lib

PostgreSQL configure line:

./configure --with-openssl --without-readline CFLAGS="-m64
-mcpu=ultrasparc" CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/ssl/include"
LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/ssl/lib -R/usr/local/ssl/lib -R/usr/sfw/lib/sparcv9"

If I don't include OpenSSL support, all is fine. This is the error I get
during configure using the above flags:

checking checking blah blah <snipped>....
checking test program... failed
configure: error:
Could not execute a simple test program.  This may be a problem
related to locating shared libraries.  Check the file 'config.log'
for the exact reason.

The most glaring error in config.log shows this:

configure:5635: gcc -o conftest -m64 -mcpu=ultrasparc -Wall
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline
-Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labe
ls -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -I/usr/local/ssl/include
-L/usr/local/ssl/lib -R/usr/local/ssl/lib -R/usr/sfw/lib/sparcv9
conftest.c -lutil  -lm
>&5
ld: fatal: library -lutil: not found
ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to conftest
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:5641: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */

Now, if I recall correctly, lutil is part of GLIBC - a Linux-only dev
package. Why would it be using this on Solaris? Am I missing the real
error or does this have something to do with the overall failure to
configure (thus, compile)?

Thanks everyone!
Randy

PS I put the entire config.log here for analysis:

http://www.procyonlabs.com/temp/config.log