Re: pg_pconnect - ?? - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Frank Bax
Subject Re: pg_pconnect - ??
Date
List pgsql-php
At 09:09 PM 1/31/02 +0100, Marco Colombo wrote:
>On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Frank Bax wrote:
>
>> The connection will only be reused if the *same* apache child process
>> handles the request.  You should expect to see many postgres client
>> connections.
>> A) Each database/user connection combination.
>> B) Each apache child process
>>
>> Multiply A*B to get max number of concurrent connections.  If A*B can go
>> over postgres connection limit, then you might start getting connection
>> refused messages.
>
>pgsql.max_persistent  integer
>    The maximum number of persistent Postgres connections per process.
>
>you can have more than one persistent connection per httpd process. Now
>that I think about it, it seems a good idea to limit it to some sane
>value.

I was actually referring to max_connections in postgresql.conf (as the
limit for A*B).

I expect that pgsql.max_persistent puts a limit on A rather than A*B.  I
let this run wild (value=-1) on my system and use default of
max_connections=64) in postgresql.

Frank