Re: pg_pconnect - ?? - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Frank Bax
Subject Re: pg_pconnect - ??
Date
List pgsql-php
At 09:09 PM 1/31/02 +0100, Marco Colombo wrote:
>On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Frank Bax wrote:
>> If your postgres database is on the same server as you webserver, there is
>> neglible gains for using pconnect over connect.
>
>Well, it depends on the type of queries.  For *a lot* of very simple and
>fast queries performed by the same user (like readonly selects in a single
>user environment), the TCP connect and fork/exec (of the postgres backends)
>overhead may dominate. Of course, whenever the query time dominates,
>it makes hardly a difference.

Ah, I hadn't considered that, query time dominates all my scripts.

Another thing I've noticed.  Just for the record ... Persistent connections
do appear to go away after time.  When I used them on my relatively idle
(compared to many) server, there almost always were none early in the
morning.  With non-scientific methods, and random observations I determined
that the time period was probably between one hour and one day.

Too bad all this info about factors affecting pg_pconnect weren't all in
one place...

Frank