Re: distance vector databases and country maps - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lincoln Yeoh
Subject Re: distance vector databases and country maps
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I believe postgresql has polygon, box, circle etc datatypes which could be
useful in your situation. Depending on how you are doing your maps the
world being approximately spheroid may or may not be a consideration in how
you approach things (to avoid 2-D wraparound issues for instance).

Datatypes
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?datatype-geometric.html#AEN3665

Operators/functions to use with those data types.
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?functions-geometry.html

e.g.
Operator: @
Meaning: Contained or on
Usage: point '(1,1)' @ circle '((0,0),2)'

http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?indices-types.html

CREATE INDEX name ON table USING RTREE (column);

I haven't any experience in using these features but I figure they might be
helpful to you.

Cheerio,
Link.

p.s. Yeah Postgresql is also copyrighted, but it's BSDtype :).