Re: Re: [GENERAL] pg_dump return status.. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Philip Warner
Subject Re: Re: [GENERAL] pg_dump return status..
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 20:50 4/01/01 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

>Talk to Philip Warner about detecting output write failures.  I think
>this might be a lot easier in current sources than it would have been in
>7.0.* or before; the actual I/O is more centralized, and I think you
>could reasonably hope to check for write errors at just a couple of
>places.

There are a few places to check, but a lot less than before. Assuming I
should just die on any failed write (which seems reasonable), how do I
check for a failed write in a way that works on all Unixes? Is the
following OK:

- fwrite: ok if return value equals item count
- fprintf: ok if return value > 0.
- fputc: ok if != EOF

Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|
PGP key available upon request,  |  /