Re: Problem with inserting newlines and ' characters - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Philip Warner
Subject Re: Problem with inserting newlines and ' characters
Date
List pgsql-general
At 14:38 24/07/00 +0000, Alan Horn wrote:

>Hi,
>
>This may actually be more of a limitation with the DBD::Pg perl driver.
>I'm not sure.
>
>Basically I'm using DBD::Pg in a perl script which inserts data into a
>very simple table.
>
>The statement I'm using is thus :
>
>my($sth) = $dbh->prepare("insert into maintenance (sno, date, data) values
>('$sno', '$date', '$tmpstring')");
>
>(all on one line of course...)
>
>My problem is this. $tmpstring may well contain embedded newlines or '
>characters (these are the two characters I've had problems with so far).

I use embedded chars all the time, but with placeholders in the query. Try:

   my($sth) = $dbh->prepare("insert into maintenance (sno, date, data) values
            (?, ?, ?)");
then

    if (!$sth->execute($sno, $date, $tmpstring))
    die_horribly....

this way you'll get the value out of preparing the statement. You might
also want to use 'prepare_cached'.

I don't know if your original query should work, but it will have all sorts
of problems if, eg, you have a "'" in one of the strings.

(A.C.N. 008 659 498)             |          /(@)   ______---_
Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|
PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/