Re: TODO updates - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Philip Warner
Subject Re: TODO updates
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 23:27 23/07/00 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

>> The actual list of things it moves to the end is: TABLE DATA, BLOBS, INDEX,
>> TRIGGER, RULE and ACL. The underlying table for a view is created in OID
>> order, so I would guess that referencing it in an SQL function would still
>> be OK. Is that OK?
>
>Oh, I see, you're emitting the underlying table and the rule separately.
>Yeah, I think that will probably work.

This one bothers me a little actually; I would prefer if it output a valid
'Create View' statement, in which case it would have to go in OID order.
Where possible, I want the output to be vanilla SQL, but I probably won't
do it yet.

>Is it safe to postpone ACL setting?  Less sure about that ... I think
>the rule parser checks ACLs at parse time instead of execution, for
>example.

Well, the theory I was working on was that it was possible that the ACLs
would deny the current user access to parts of the database, so I put them
at the end.

Do you mean that by putting the ACLs at the end I may be allowing access
(via the rule parser) that is inappropriate?

(A.C.N. 008 659 498)             |          /(@)   ______---_
PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/