Re: update on TOAST status' - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Philip Warner
Subject Re: update on TOAST status'
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 14:38 11/07/00 +0200, Jan Wieck wrote:
>> Can I suggest that we also put out a warning when defining an index using a
>> field with a (potentially) unlimited size? Indexing a text field will
>> mostly be a bizarre thing to do, but, eg, indexing the first 255 chars of a
>> text field (via substr) might not be.
>
>    Marking it BOLD somewhere in the release  notes,  the  CREATE
>    INDEX  doc  and  some  other  places should be enough. Such a
>    message at every CREATE INDEX is annoying.

The suggestion was only if the index contained a text, lztext etc field,
but no problem. The way I read your suggestion was that I'd get a real
error when doing an insert if the text was too large.

(A.C.N. 008 659 498)             |          /(@)   ______---_
PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/