Re: update on TOAST status' - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: update on TOAST status'
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Philip Warner wrote:
> At 14:02 11/07/00 +0200, Jan Wieck wrote:
> >    AFAICS, we need to detoast values for index  inserts  allways
> >    and  have  another toaster inside the index access methods at
> >    some day.
>
> We might not need it...at least not in the furst pass.
   The  thing  is  actually  broken  and needs a fix. As soon as   "text" is toastable, it can happen everywhere  that
text is   toasted  even  if it's actual plain value would perfectly fit   into an index tuple. Think of a table with 20
text  columns,   where  the  indexed  one  has  a  1024 bytes value, while all   others hold 512 bytes. In that case,
theindexed one  is  the   biggest  and  get's  toasted first. And if all the data is of   nature that compression
doesn'tgain enough, it  might  still   be the biggest one after that step and will be considered for   move off ...
boom.
   We can't let this in in the first pass!

> >    In the meantime we should decide  a  safe  maximum
> >    index tuple size and emit an explanative error message on the
> >    attempt to insert oversized index entries instead of possibly
> >    corrupting the index.
>
> Can I suggest that we also put out a warning when defining an index using a
> field with a (potentially) unlimited size? Indexing a text field will
> mostly be a bizarre thing to do, but, eg, indexing the first 255 chars of a
> text field (via substr) might not be.
   Marking it BOLD somewhere in the release  notes,  the  CREATE   INDEX  doc  and  some  other  places should be
enough.Such a   message at every CREATE INDEX is annoying.

Jan