Re: [HACKERS] Postgres Speed or lack thereof - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Roberto Joao Lopes Garcia
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Postgres Speed or lack thereof
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 11:29 19/01/99 -0500, you wrote:
>can you explain the -F flag? when is it passed to what? Can this be done
>in plpgsql? how?

Or passed by libpq in a C program that needs to insert (as fast as
possible) a lot of new rows?

>john
>On
>Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Vadim Mikheev <vadim@krs.ru> writes:
>> > For the table with single int4 column & 2000 INSERTs I have:
>>
>> > BEGIN/END:        3.5sec        ~600insert/sec
>> > Without:          151sec        ~13insert/sec
>>
>> > (IDE disk!)
>>
>> > I guess that you don't use -F flag..?
>>
>> *Do* use -F, you meant of course.  You're right, I do.  With an
>> fsync after every transaction, I'm sure my test would've been much
>> slower.
>>
>> However, with a UPS and an OS that only crashes about once every
>> other year, I feel pretty secure using -F ...
>>
>>             regards, tom lane

Eng. Roberto João Lopes Garcia         E-mail: roberto@mha.com.br
F. 55 11 848 9906   FAX  55 11 848 9955

MHA Engenharia Ltda
E-mail: mha@mha.com.br    WWW: http://www.mha.com.br

Av Maria Coelho Aguiar, 215 Bloco D     2 Andar
Centro Empresarial de Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo - BRASIL - 05805 000