Re: Now PostgreSQL recovers from errors within trns - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Don Baccus
Subject Re: Now PostgreSQL recovers from errors within trns
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 02:10 PM 7/31/00 -0300, hstenger@adinet.com.uy wrote:
>Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>> hstenger@adinet.com.uy writes:
>> > My goal is to make the backend accept erroneous commands, not falling
>> > in *ABORT STATE*, but rolling back automatically, & continue accepting
>> > commands.
>>
>> The way you're doing it, you might as well just not use transaction
>> blocks at all.  I don't think wiping out the effects of all preceding
>> commands within the transaction counts as "recovering from an error".
>
>Ok, maybe I exagerated, but kind of solves my problem. GeneXus, my CASE tool,
>will send begin/commit pairs, so I must 'recover' automatically. I aimed
>DB2-like behaviour, which I was told, aborts on errors within
transactions, but
>remains in a runnable state. Don't you consider it valueable whatsoever?

Well, Postgresql's behavior isn't SQL92 compliant, but neither is the
behavior you want.  I far prefer the current non-standard behavior.
Eventually,
of course, PG should conform to SQL92.

GeneXus should be catching the error and issuing a rollback if that's
the behavior it expects.