Re: [HACKERS] Re: [SQL] Proposed Changes to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Don Baccus
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: [SQL] Proposed Changes to PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-sql
At 04:38 PM 2/3/00 +1100, Chris Bitmead wrote:
>Don Baccus wrote:

>> On the other hand, as someone who once made his living off his
>> designed and implemented optimizing multi-language, multi-platform
>> compiler technology...is it entirely out of the question to
>> consider more greatly abstracting the language (gram.y/analyze.c)
>> and backend (optimizer and executor) interfaces so more than one
>> front-end could exist (even if only in experimental and research
>> environments)?  Along with front-end specific versions of libpq?
>
>A good thought, but we still need one good front end that supports
>all the features.

I wasn't think in terms of this being mutually exclusive with your
desires.  Merely raising up the notion that the possibility exists
of creating a sandbox, so to speak, for people to play in, a tool
for the exploration of such concepts.

>> Nor mine, in fact the stuff I've seen about primitive OO in databases
>> make me thing the folks just don't get it.
>>
>> Not to mention that I'm not convinced that "getting it" is worth it.  OO
>> fits some paradigms, not others, when programming in the large.
>
>Well, the features I'm talking about don't affect you unless you want
>OO.

No, and I wasn't arguing that you shouldn't move forward, either.  I
was just stating my personal opinion regarding the utility of simple
OO-ish features, that's all.

>> One reason I raise the issue of possible multiple front-ends (or making
>> it easy for folks to make there own by making the parser->optimizer/backend
>> interface more general) is that this whole area would seem to be one
>> that begs for RESEARCH and experimentalism.
>
>No research is required. I simply want to implement the ODMG STANDARD
>for ODBMS databases on PostgreSQL. There are no great design issues
>here,
>just a matter of nailing down the details so that everyone can live
>with them.

Well...that's sorta like saying no research into procedural language
design is needed 'cause now we've got C++.

Whether or not the existing standard for ODBMS is the greatest thing
since sliced bread, I find it hard to believe that no research is
required or design issues raised by the fundamental problems of
database technology.

Maybe I'm wrong, though, maybe the problem's been solved.