Re: Synchronous Log Shipping Replication - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavan Deolasee
Subject Re: Synchronous Log Shipping Replication
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Heikki Linnakangas

> The thing that bothers me is the behavior when the synchronous slave doesn't
> respond. A timeout has been discussed, after which the master just gives up
> on sending, and starts acting as if there's no slave. How's that different
> from asynchronous mode where WAL is sent to the server concurrently when
> it's flushed to disk, but we don't wait for the send to finish? ISTM that in
> both cases the only guarantee we can give is that when a transaction is
> acknowledged as committed, it's committed in the master but not necessarily
> in the slave.

I think there is one difference. Assuming that the timeouts happen
infrequently, most of the time the slave is in sync with the master
and that can be reported to the user. Whereas in async mode, the slave
will *always* be out of sync.

Thanks,
Pavan

--