Re: HOT patch, missing things - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavan Deolasee
Subject Re: HOT patch, missing things
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 8/14/07, Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Doesn't this design completely fail to take index bloat into account?
> Repairing heap fragmentation does not reduce the need for VACUUM to work
> on the indexes.

Index bloat is a bit of an open issue already. Because page splits already
prune any LP_DELETEd pointers any busy index keys will be pruned already.
However any index keys which have not been the subject of an index lookup --
and that includes keys which are only accessed by bitmap-index-scans -- won't
be pruned.

So we don't really know how much bloat is currently in an index. Perhaps we
need a new statistic which gets updated whenever a page split prunes
LP_DELETEd pointers (or perhaps when LP_DELETE is set?).

I agree here. As a first step, may be can address the heap space usage
statistics and then take up index stats separately. Index bloat would carry
a different weight in triggering autovacuum.

I shall code up a patch which tracks the dead space in the heap and
trigger autovac based on that.

Thanks,
Pavan

--