Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 3/19/21 9:40 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
>> I find this behavior confusing; I'd rather have configure error out if
>> it can't find the package support I requested, than continuing with a
>> set of configure options different from what I gave.
>
> +1

Yeah. And why does it even require pkg-config, unlike any other library
that I'm aware of?

    checking for liblz4... no
    configure: error: in `/home/ubuntu/postgres':
    configure: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too
old.  Make sure it
    is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the full
    path to pkg-config.

    Alternatively, you may set the environment variables LZ4_CFLAGS
    and LZ4_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

    To get pkg-config, see <http://pkg-config.freedesktop.org/>.
    See `config.log' for more details

I see xml2 also mentions pkg-config in configure (next to XML2_CFLAGS),
but works fine without it.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra