Re: postgres_fdw IMPORT SCHEMA and partitioned tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: postgres_fdw IMPORT SCHEMA and partitioned tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2017/03/31 13:23, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 12:30 PM, Michael Paquier
> <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Users like things that are friendly, and we are most likely going to
>> piss them off when using postgres_fdw if they need to list manually
>> each parent table from the IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA command.
>>
>>> However, if we're going to do something about this, I think it should
>>> be done soon.  Otherwise, I'm going to advocate for reclassifying this
>>> issue from "open item" to "possible area for future development".
>>
>> I was just waiting for the end of the CF before sending in a patch,
>> allocating now some time to look at some patches pending for reviews.
>
> And here is the promised patch to address this open item.

Looks good to me, except maybe:

+
+   <para>
+    For partitioned tables, partitions are automatically excluded from the
+    schema data imported. Only the definition of partitioned tables is
included
+    to give access to the full data set of all partitions present remotely.
+   </para>
+

Only the definitions of "root" partitioned tables, because when using
multi-level partitioning, there would be partitioned tables that won't be
included (because, relispartition=true).

If you agree, then this code comment too could use the same terminology:

+         * Ignore table data for partitions and only include the parent
+         * definitions to allow access to the complete remote data set
+         * locally in the schema imported.

Thanks,
Amit