Re: pg_upgrade: Pass -j down to vacuumdb - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: pg_upgrade: Pass -j down to vacuumdb
Date
Re: pg_upgrade: Pass -j down to vacuumdb
List pgsql-hackers
On 2019-03-25 22:57, Tom Lane wrote:
> +    fprintf(script, "echo %sYou may wish to add --jobs=N for parallel analyzing.%s\n",
> +            ECHO_QUOTE, ECHO_QUOTE);

But then you get that information after you have already started the script.

I don't find any information about this analyze business on the
pg_upgrade reference page.  Maybe a discussion there could explain the
different paths better than making the output script extra complicated.

Essentially: If you want a slow and gentle analyze, use the supplied
script.  If you want a fast analyze, use vacuumdb, perhaps with an
appropriate --jobs option.  Note that pg_upgrade --jobs and vacuumdb
--jobs are resource-bound in different ways, so the same value might not
be appropriate for both.