Re: TestLib::command_fails_like enhancement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Dilger
Subject Re: TestLib::command_fails_like enhancement
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 10/31/19 10:02 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> This small patch authored by my colleague Craig Ringer enhances
> Testlib's command_fails_like by allowing the passing of extra keyword
> type arguments. The keyword initially recognized is 'extra_ipcrun_opts'.
> The value for this keyword needs to be an array, and is passed through
> to the call to IPC::Run.

Hi Andrew, a few code review comments:

The POD documentation for this function should be updated to include a
description of the %kwargs argument list.

Since command_fails_like is patterned on command_like, perhaps you
should make this change to both of them, even if you only originally
intend to use the new functionality in command_fails_like.  I'm not sure
of this, though, since I haven't seen any example usage yet.

I'm vaguely bothered by having %kwargs gobble up the remaining function
arguments, not because it isn't a perl-ish thing to do, but because none
of the other functions in this module do anything similar.  The function
check_mode_recursive takes an optional $ignore_list array reference as
its last argument.  Perhaps command_fails_like could follow that pattern
by taking an optional $kwargs hash reference.

--
Mark Dilger