initdb failes on Traditional chinese machine when postgres install directory contains chinese characters. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sarkar, Sudipta
Subject initdb failes on Traditional chinese machine when postgres install directory contains chinese characters.
Date
Responses Re: initdb failes on Traditional chinese machine when postgres install directory contains chinese characters.  (Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>)
List pgsql-general

Hi,

   I downloaded postgres 8.4 in zip format and installed it under c:\postgres�裘� on a traditional Chinese windows 2003 server. Note the Chinese characters in the folder name. Then I tried to create a database using initdb. I specified the following command:

initdb.exe --encoding UTF-8 -D  c:\mydb\db --username user1 �CW �CL c:\postgres�裘�\share

The command failed with the following output. It failed while loading system objects description. The command works fine if I install postgres on a folder containg only ascii characters.

The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "Administrator

".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale Chinese_Taiwan.950.

initdb: could not find suitable text search configuration for locale Chinese_Tai

wan.950

The default text search configuration will be set to "simple".

creating directory c:/BCA-Networks-Data/db ... ok

creating subdirectories ... ok

selecting default max_connections ... 100

selecting default shared_buffers/max_fsm_pages ... 32MB/204800

creating configuration files ... ok

creating template1 database in c:/BCA-Networks-Data/db/base/1 ... ok

initializing pg_authid ... ok

Enter new superuser password:

Enter it again:

setting password ... ok

initializing dependencies ... ok

creating system views ... ok

HINT:  This error can also happen if the byte sequence does not match the encoding expected by the server, which is controlled by "client_encoding".

child process exited with exit code 1

initdb: removing data directory "c:/mydb/db"

Can someone please help me to solve this issue?

Thanks

Sudipta