Re: Crediting sponsors in release notes? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Nasby, Jim
Subject Re: Crediting sponsors in release notes?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On May 13, 2011, at 2:26 PM, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Nasby, Jim <JNasby@enovafinancial.com> wrote:
>> I think there's a couple benefits to mentioning sponsorship:
>>
>> - It provides added legitimacy to the project *in the eyes of businesses* when they see development being funded by
otherbusinesses
>> - It raises awareness that businesses *can* fund development of features/fixes
>> - It recognizes those who have contributed to development
>
> Can you explain how Enova would use the recognition?
>
> I thought of a few things - like: easier to recruit other developers
> (maybe specifically Postgres devs) who are interested in open source,
> raise the profile of the company among investors who like to see that
> a company isn't dependent on proprietary software at their core.  I
> couldn't think of any others though.

For Enova Financial, the main benefit is it helps make the community aware that we're actively supporting the
community,and might be a cool place to work. It's also nice to see recognition when you're spending money on community
development.

Personally, I want *other* companies to follow our example. If they start by sponsoring smaller things and nitpicks,
notonly does it improve Postgres but it hopefully also paves the road for them to make more major contributions in the
future.How much of Hot Standby was funded by financial contributions?

BTW, I'm fine with getting this ball rolling by collecting info in the wiki and putting it in the press kit. We can see
howthat works and go from there. As for collecting current information, hopefully it wouldn't be too onerous to grep
the9.1 commit log for "sponsor", as well as try to make all the consulting companies aware that we'd like to note
featuresthat were sponsored.
--
Jim "Decibel!" Nasby jnasby@EnovaFinancial.com
Primary: 512-579-9024     Backup: 512-569-9461