Re: Changing the sponsors page - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Changing the sponsors page
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On May 12, 2011, at 4:49 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Major Sponsors would be companies who have supported one or more
> full-time contributors, or the equivalent, for more than one year.
>
> Sponsors would be any company who has consistently contributed
> substantial developer time and/or money to PostgreSQL (i.e. several
> $thousand) for a year or more.  A company which does *only* event
> sponsorships wouldn't count, because they already get credit through the
> event.

I like this idea, though I want to propose that Postgres consulting companies be segregated, for two reasons:

1: It makes it easier for people who want to find consulting companies to find them (yes, I know they can look at the
supportpage, but wouldn't you prefer to do business with a company that directly supports the community? :)
2: It would point out companies that support Postgres even though it's not their primary business focus. There are far
morecompanies that use Postgres than companies that offer support; if we can make companies that use Postgres realized
thatthey have a way to directly help the project then hopefully more of that will happen.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net