Re: is it possible to do an update with a nested select that references the outer update ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: is it possible to do an update with a nested select that references the outer update ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 6 Oct 2009, at 18:57, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:

> i think this attempt most clearly expresses what I was trying to do
>
>     UPDATE table_a a set id_field = ( SELECT id_field FROM table_b b
> WHERE a.first_name || ' ' || b.last_name = a.fullname ) WHERE
> id_field IS NULL ;
>
> I'd be greatful if anyone has a pointer

You're looking for UPDATE FROM:

UPDATE table_a SET id_field = table_b.id_field FROM table_b WHERE
table_a.firstname || ' ' || table_b.last_name = table_a.fullname AND
table_a.id_field IS NULL;

Apparently table_a.id_field is not a primary key? Seems a bit weird to
me, but if it floats your boat...

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is the best way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:737,4acb82e311687224899625!