Re: pg_dump / pg_dumpall / memory issues - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Murthy Kambhampaty
Subject Re: pg_dump / pg_dumpall / memory issues
Date
List pgsql-general
If you have a standby database server, and you are looking to get speedy
backups, you will want to look at:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=postgresql-admin&w=2&r=1&s=lvm+snapshots&q=b

The thread discusses filesystem level backup of the database cluster off an
[LVM/EVMS/NetApp] filer snapshot, with implementation details for linux LVM
snapshots.

Cheers,
    Murthy

-----Original Message-----
From: Ericson Smith [mailto:eric@did-it.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2003 01:45
To: Postgresql General
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] pg_dump / pg_dumpall / memory issues

We're running the 7.3 series. We are getting better backup performance
than 7.2 indeed. Looking at pg_dump.c -- it seems to use the COPY
command so perhaps throttling in the code may not be the best solution.
I did see the notes about this that Tom mentioned.

> So I'm wondering if the simple solution might be to either use a slower
> box / network connection / throttled port on the backup box, or just
> backup into another database since the copies into the other machine
> probably slow things down enough to render less of a load on the server
> being backed up.

Hmmm... that might be an interesting solution. We do have a slower
standby DB, that would be excellent for that purpose. It would be an
added incentive too, because the standby DB would be hot after backup.
I'm gonna give this a shot and report back. I guess we can do a
pg_dumpall from the standby DB as soon as the main DB has finished
backing up too!

Regards
- Ericson Smith
eric@did-it.com