Re: Multi-row insert: error at terminal row. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Förster
Subject Re: Multi-row insert: error at terminal row.
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi David,

> On 29. Oct, 2020, at 17:21, David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 9:16 AM Paul Förster <paul.foerster@gmail.com> wrote:
> But I guess that Emacs shows the matching closing bracket at the beginning of the line, which matches that single
tuple.But you also need a closing bracket for the set of tuples like this:

> insert ...
> (
>     (v1, v2, v3),
>     (v4, v5, v6),
>     (v7, v8, v9)    <= this is the bracket pair that Emacs shows as matching.
> );     <= this is the missing bracket.
>

> Except that isn't valid INSERT statement syntax.  You are missing "values" and there is no enclosing parens:
>
> INSERT INTO tbl (i) VALUES (1), (2), (3); --this is perfectly valid
>
> That said seeing the first few rows, in addition to the last few, would help.

sorry, I didn't check. My point was that there is a mismatch between a closing parent and an initial opening parent
somewhereeven if Emacs shows the last parent as matching the last opening parent.

So, you are right of course.

postgres=# create table t1(v1 int, v2 int, v3 int);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# insert into t1(v1, v2, v3)
values
    (1, 2, 3),