Re: configure and DocBook XML - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Paul Förster
Subject Re: configure and DocBook XML
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Tom,

> On 26. Nov, 2020, at 17:48, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> If you don't have the docbook stylesheets, but you do have xmllint,
> configure's probe will cause xmllint to try to download those
> stylesheets off the net.  For me, that always succeeds, but it
> takes two or three seconds.  I find it curious that it seems to be
> timing out for you.

well, openSUSE 15.2 Leap here:

paul@weasel:~$ xmllint --version
xmllint: using libxml version 20907
   compiled with: Threads Tree Output Push Reader Patterns Writer SAXv1 FTP HTTP DTDValid HTML Legacy C14N Catalog
XPathXPointer XInclude Iconv ISO8859X Unicode Regexps Automata Expr Schemas Schematron Modules Debug Zlib Lzma
paul@weasel:~$ type -a xmllint
xmllint is /usr/bin/xmllint
paul@weasel:~$ zypper se 'xmllint*'
Reading installed packages...
No matching items found.

I wonder why zypper tells me, it's not there. If I use yast2 (GUI) to search it, it's there.

Anyway, DocBook XML is definitely not there, neither in zypper se, nor in yast2.

So why would xmllint try to download DocBook XML stylesheets if DocBook is not installed? I'm not a developer but such
athing doesn't make sense to me.

Cheers,
Paul