Re: pg_upgrade issues - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From
Subject Re: pg_upgrade issues
Date
List pgsql-bugs
I have encountered another problem with pg_upgrade, while migrating from 8.=
4 to 9.0 (beta2, as well as beta3) on Windows XP Pro.

I have a table with a regclass column, which references other tables in the=
 same database:

CREATE TABLE common_inst.reg_asset
(
  asset_id integer NOT NULL,
  table_name regclass,
  CONSTRAINT asset_registered_pkey PRIMARY KEY (asset_id)
)

Sometimes after I migrate the database, the values in the table_name column=
 show integer numbers (e.g. '284551' for a table named 'common_inst.asset_s=
pot_equity_index') instead of table references. These numbers are the OIDs =
of the tables in the old database, but in the new database these OIDs have =
no referent.

FWIW, when looking at the pg_class entries for the referenced tables, I hav=
e noticed that in the old database the table OID and the column relfilenode=
 have different values. In the migrated database the values are the same an=
d coincide with relfilenode in the old database.

For example,

Old database:

Table name: common_inst.asset_spot_equity_index
pg_class.oid =3D 284551
pg_class.relfilenode =3D 288011

Migrated database:

Table name: common_inst.asset_spot_equity_index
pg_class.oid =3D 288011
pg_class.relfilenode =3D 288011

I am trying to obtain a binary dump of a small test database where this iss=
ue could be reproduced, but so far, no luck. At present, the least such dat=
abase is 1.5 GB compressed and contains a lot of proprietary info. I would =
welcome any suggestions on how to do this.

Thanks,
Dmitry