pg_upgrade issues - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From
Subject pg_upgrade issues
Date
List pgsql-bugs
PostgreSQL 9.0 beta 2
Windows XP Professional SP2

While migrating the database from 8.4 to 9.0 using pg_upgrade (now part of =
the Postgres project), the following issues came up:

1. When using the --logfile option, pg_upgrade quits with an error like thi=
s:

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another proc=
ess.

There were problems executing ""C:\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin/pg_ctl" -l "pg_upgrad=
e.log
" -D "D:\PostgreSQL84_matlab1b" -o "-p 5432 -c autovacuum=3Doff -c autovacu=
um_free
ze_max_age=3D2000000000" start >> "pg_upgrade.log" 2>&1"

2. Although pg_upgrade has a username option, this option is not used when =
pg_dump is called, which tries to use the current logon account name as the=
 user name. As a result, pg_upgrade can only be used when the command shell=
 is launched under the postgres account. (I know that this is mentioned on =
the doc page, but this doesn't seem right).

3. The old database had the pgadmin debugger installed. The module is part =
of 8.4 and 9.0 distributions for Windows. However, pg_upgrade reported the =
following error:

ERROR:  could not load library "C:/PostgreSQL/9.0/lib/pldbgapi.dll": The sp=
ecified module could not be found.

I had to uninstall the debugger from the old database before I could procee=
d.