Re: GUC with units, details - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: GUC with units, details
Date
Re: GUC with units, details  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Re: GUC with units, details  (Hannu Krosing <hannu@skype.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Michael Glaesemann <grzm@seespotcode.net> writes:
> I've seen this mentioned a couple of times. I'm not nearly as
> familiar with these settings as I should be, but it seems to me that
> if the memory size *does* need to be a integral multiple of page
> size, e.g., n * page_size = memory_size,  why isn't that memory
> configured as the integer n rather than memory_size?

It is.  For instance shared_buffers is configured as the number of
buffers.  What we're talking about here is ways to specify the intended
usage with other units (eg "I want N megabytes of shared buffers") but
that's not going to magically let you allocate half a shared buffer.
Peter's not said exactly how he plans to deal with this, but I suppose
it'll round off one way or the other ...