Re: GUC with units, details - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: GUC with units, details
List pgsql-hackers
Ühel kenal päeval, N, 2006-07-27 kell 01:03, kirjutas Tom Lane:
> Michael Glaesemann <grzm@seespotcode.net> writes:
> > I've seen this mentioned a couple of times. I'm not nearly as
> > familiar with these settings as I should be, but it seems to me that
> > if the memory size *does* need to be a integral multiple of page
> > size, e.g., n * page_size = memory_size,  why isn't that memory
> > configured as the integer n rather than memory_size?
>
> It is.  For instance shared_buffers is configured as the number of
> buffers.  What we're talking about here is ways to specify the intended
> usage with other units (eg "I want N megabytes of shared buffers") but
> that's not going to magically let you allocate half a shared buffer.

What are the plans for SHOW command ?

Will it show actual number of buffers allocated, original number
requested or actual amount allocated in units requested ?

Or some combination of above ?

> Peter's not said exactly how he plans to deal with this, but I suppose
> it'll round off one way or the other ...
>
>             regards, tom lane

Hannu Krosing
Database Architect
Skype Technologies OÜ
Akadeemia tee 21 F, Tallinn, 12618, Estonia

Skype me:  callto:hkrosing
Get Skype for free:  http://www.skype.com