Re: lots of unused variable warnings in assert-free builds - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: lots of unused variable warnings in assert-free builds
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> As you can see, pgindent adds whitespace on top of #ifdef
> USE_ASSERT_CHECKING, and messes up the vertical alignment of variable
> definitions that contain extra attributes.

Hm.  I bet it thinks that PG_USED_FOR_ASSERTS_ONLY is the variable name,
which means that the behavior might be more exciting for multi-word type
names (for instance "struct foo" or "volatile int *".  Could you check
a few cases like that?

> All things considered, I like the PG_USED_FOR_ASSERTS_ONLY solution best.

I agree, unless the more complicated cases go further off the rails.