Re: pg_dump/restore and functions/triggers/trigger functions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump/restore and functions/triggers/trigger functions
Date
List pgsql-general
Jeff Amiel <becauseimjeff@yahoo.com> writes:
>   I guess the real question is (other than related to this issue), it there any need to dump the
catalog/informationalschemas?

There isn't, but pg_dump won't dump them anyway; you have no need to
specify switches for that.

The whole business of partial dumps and selective restores is still
pretty messy :-(.  IIRC pg_dump doesn't have any concept of dumping
or restoring all the objects that a desired object depends on; but
without that, any kind of selectivity is hard to use.  My recommendation
at the moment is to always do complete dumps --- you can filter during
pg_restore if you have to, but if your back is against the wall and your
only up-to-date dump is critically incomplete, you're screwed.

            regards, tom lane