Re: SQL function parse error ? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: SQL function parse error ?
Date
List pgsql-sql
"Radu-Adrian Popescu" <radu.popescu@aldratech.com> writes:
> This is SQL, and people who are using PostgreSql write SQL, not
> whitespace-sensitive SQL, bash or whatever.

Nonsense.  SQL syntax is space-sensitive.  Or have you successfully
writtenSELECTXFROMY;
lately?

There has occasionally been talk of disallowing '$' as a valid character
in operator names, which would eliminate the syntactic ambiguity in this
example.  But undoubtedly it would also break a few applications that
use '$' in user-defined operator names, so the proposal hasn't passed
to date.

> Is there any operator named >$ ?

Whether there is one in the standard distribution is quite irrelevant.
It's a valid operator name according to the current rules, and so open
to definition by anyone who wants to.

The most recent discussion I can find about this is the pgsql-hackers
thread "Dollar in identifiers" from Aug 2001, eg
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2001-08/msg00629.php
There didn't seem to be a consensus to change things, so the old
behavior stands, for the moment.
        regards, tom lane